This page contains the various categories for the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager / ConfigMgr / SCCM 2012 Site Server Design & Planning FAQs.
- What is a ConfigMgr “Site”?
- What is a ConfigMgr “Site Server”?
- Are there different types of ConfigMgr Sites?
- How many Clients can each ConfigMgr 2012 Site Support?
- Can a Site only support Devices from a Single Client Group?
- If I’m not using Clients from one Client Group can I add these to a different Client Group?
- What happens if I exceed the supported Number of Clients for a Site?
- Why is there a limit on the number of Clients supported at a Secondary Site if Clients can only be assigned to a Primary Site?
- Operating Systems
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Which version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable does each version of ConfigMgr 2012 require?
- Do I need to manually install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable or does ConfigMgr Setup take care of it?
- Do I need to install both the x86 and x64 versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable?
- Windows Roles and Features
- WAIK/ WADK
Central Administration Site
- What is a Central Administration Site?
- How does a CAS differ from a ConfigMgr 2007 Central Site?
- When do I need a Central Administration Site?
- What is the biggest Processing Load on CAS?
- What is a Primary Site?
- Are there different types of Primary Sites?
- Does a Standalone Primary provide the same functionality as a CAS?
- When do I need a Primary Site?
- What is a Secondary Site?
- When do I need a Secondary Site?
- Are there any differences between a ConfigMgr 2012 Secondary Site and a ConfigMgr 2007 Secondary Site?
- Do I have to install a Secondary Site?
- Why does a Secondary Site also need to meet the Prerequisites for a Distribution Point and Management Point?
- Can I install a Secondary Site on a Domain Controller?
- Does a Secondary Site require a SQL Database?
- Can I use an existing instance of SQL Server on my Secondary Site?
- Where do I administer a Secondary Site from?
- What is a “Site Code”?
- Does the Site Code have to be unique?
- What characters can I use for a Site Code?
- Are there any ConfigMgr/SCCM Site Code Combinations I should avoid using?
- Do Site Codes need to be sequential?
- Should I have a Naming Convention for my Site Codes?
- Does ConfigMgr check the Site Code is unique when I install a Site?
- Can I change a Site’s Site Code?
- Can I re-use a Site Code?
- What is the “Site Name”?
- What characters can I use for a Site Name?
- Should I have a Naming Convention for my Site Names?
- Can I change a Site’s Name Code?
- What is the Setup Downloader?
- What are the benefits of using the Setup Downloader?
- Do I only need to run the Setup Downloader once or should I run it each time before I install a new Site?
- If I run Setup Downloader again and tell it to use a directory I’ve used previously does it re-download everything again?
- Are there any precautions I should take to prevent the files downloaded by Setup Downloader from being tampered with?
- Does Setup Downloader create a log?
- What is the Prerequisite Checker?
- When does the Prerequisite Checker run?
- Will the Prerequisite Checker notify me of any issues?
- Will issues with a severity of “Warning” prevent ConfigMgr Setup from running?
- Will issues with a severity of “Error” prevent ConfigMgr Setup from running?
- Does the Prerequisite Checker have any prerequisites?
- What checks does the Prerequisite Checker perform?
- Prerequisite Checks for Security Rights
- Prerequisite Checks for Configuration Manager Dependencies
- Prerequisite Checks for System Requirements
- Prerequisite Checks for Upgrades
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to install a Site Server?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to install the ConfigMgr Console?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to install a Distribution Point?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to install a Management Point?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to install the SMS Provider?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run relating to SQL Server?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to Upgrade a Site Server?
- What Prerequisite Checks are run when I want to Upgrade a SQL Server?
- Does the Prerequisite Checker change anything?
- Does the Prerequisite Checker create a log anywhere?
- Does ConfigMgr support Languages other than English?
- Are there different types of Language Pack?
- Do I have to install Site Servers using language specific media?
- Which Language Preferences do the Language Packs use to display information?
- What happens when I add a Language Pack to a Site?
- How do I update the Language Packs?
- Do I have to install all of the Languages I want to use on my Site Servers at the time I install them?
- Do I have to install all of the Client Language Packs I want to use on all of my Site Servers?
- Can I move a Site Server from one Domain to another?
- If I need to move a Site Server between Domains can I backup the Site Database before I move the Site, move the Site and then restore the Site Database?
- Can I change the Domain Membership of a Site Server?
- Can I change the Domain Name of a Site Server?
- Can I change the Name of the computer hosting a Site Server?
- Can I change the “Startup Type” or “Log on as” settings for the ConfigMgr-related services?
- SMS 2003
- ConfigMgr 2007
- Operating System Upgrades